PhotoQ WordPress Photoblog Plugin 1.8: Now Supporting Thousands of Themes

Did you ever have to fiddle around with countless custom fields to have your images displayed in your favorite WordPress photoblog theme? With PhotoQ 1.8, stuff like having to manually enter the correct URL into the correct custom field becomes a thing of the past. In PhotoQ 1.8, theme support through views has been completely reworked and made so flexible that it now works with virtually any WordPress theme there is. Further, a convenient auto-configuration option allows you to setup PhotoQ to work with your favorite theme without, well, configuring anything.

Here is the list of highlights of this major update of the PhotoQ WordPress Photoblog Plugin:

• Use any theme you like together with PhotoQ, thanks to the new “freeform” view option
  • Zero-configuration presets for some of the most popular photo themes
  • Theme authors can easily generate presets for the users of their themes

At the same time the iQ2 Photoblog Theme has also been updated, there is now an option to add a static front page. For a full list of changes of both PhotoQ 1.8 and iQ2 1.2 as well as for upgrading instructions, read the rest of this post. For a complete documentation and installation instructions, please check out the main PhotoQ page.

I am still looking for translators for PhotoQ and iQ2. Right now, they are both available in Chinese (Hongkong, Taiwan), English, French and German. If you are able to help with a translation into any other language, just drop me a line. Any help is highly appreciated.

Upgrading to PhotoQ 1.8

Upgrading to PhotoQ 1.7 is done in the usual way, most easily via the WordPress auto-upgrade feature. It is always wise to backup your database and files before you upgrade. If you use both, iQ2 and PhotoQ, please upgrade iQ2 to version 1.2 before upgrading PhotoQ to version 1.8. If you don’t, PhotoQ cannot be activated while the old iQ2 theme is running.

Reworked PhotoQ Views

Views define what information is displayed how on your blog. Until now, PhotoQ defined two views, one called “content” another one called “excerpt”, corresponding to the content and excerpt section of a WordPress post. This allowed you to e.g. define that you wanted a thumbnail to appear in the excerpt part of the post, and the full image in the content part. Additionally, you had the option to also include EXIF information and/or an image description in the content part.

In PhotoQ 1.8 you can define your own custom views in addition to the “content” and “excerpt” views. Information that you add to a custom view is added to a custom field of the same name. This is useful if you use a theme that e.g. requests that for every post, the thumbnail is placed in a custom field called “thumbnail”. If you setup a corresponding view in PhotoQ, PhotoQ will do this automatically for you for every post you publish.

Further, every view also has a new “freeform” option. As the name implies, freeform gives you complete freedom over the formatting of the view. This feature is very powerful, you can add any information provided by PhotoQ such as EXIF information or image dimensions and combine it with whatever HTML you desire. Freefrom makes the views feature very flexible, such that you can adapt it for virtually any theme that exists.

Auto-Configuration Through Presets

All PhotoQ settings that determine how your posts are displayed can be saved to a XML configuration file. This allows theme authors to create presets that can be loaded into PhotoQ with a single click. Like this, users can setup PhotoQ to work with a given theme without touching any of the view settings described above. PhotoQ today already ships with presets for the following popular photo centric themes

If you are a theme author and want your users to also benefit from the auto-configuration option, just create a preset and make it available to your users on your website. Your users can then place the file in a folder called “myPhotoQPresets” inside “wp-content” and it will show up in the list of presets that can be loaded into PhotoQ. Once you created a preset, you can also send me a pointer, such that I can include it in the above list of PhotoQ defaults.

Other changes

• New option for default tags
  • Under the hood: Option handling updated
  • Some bugs were corrected along the way, e.g. those here

iQ2 1.2

iQ2 1.2 brings the following changes:

• Possibility to add a static front page
  • Chinese and French translation added
  • iQ2 of course also has a zero-configuration preset in PhotoQ 1.8
  • Behind the scenes, option handling was updated to match the one from PhotoQ 1.8

Comments (23)

• 1

Sheldon Koehler says:

I had emailed you a few months back but gave up on this project for a while. Now I want to get it to work. I am now getting an error that PhotoQ cannot create or write to a directory. The path is totally wrong! See:
    The file upload failed with the following error: Unable to create directory D:\W3Sites\n7xei.com\www\wp/D:/W3Sites/n7xei.com/www/wp/wp-content/qdir. Is its parent directory writable by the server?. The names of the folders are coorect, but the path it way off base. I have not done anything to change it. Any ideas?

• 2

Updates: PhotoQ 1.8.1 and iQ2 1.2.2 says:

[...] I finally managed to put an update for PhotoQ together. No new features this time except for the Spanish translation (muchas gracias, Caleidos), but quite a few bug fixes. Among others, this update should fix the photo upload bug that appeared on Windows servers in PhotoQ 1.8. [...]

• 3

Noch mehr… says:

[...] I finally managed to put an update for PhotoQ together. No new features this time except for the Spanish translation (muchas gracias, Caleidos), but quite a few bug fixes. Among others, this update should fix the photo upload bug that appeared on Windows servers in PhotoQ 1.8. [...]

• 4

JohnG says:

I am looking for an image gallery that I can plug into my WP site, link individual page galleries to folders (already uploaded to the site) and allow viewers to enlarge images from thumbnails and download them. I would like the option to give most folder contents for free. I would also like to have at least 1 folder (page gallery) that will let me link to paypal. It would also be nice if it had some fancy Flash display. Does such a creature exist? I am not opposed to paying a little for it if I have to but, cannot afford to spend much at this point. Thanks for any input, JohnG

• 5

whoismanu says:

john,

i can only tell you what photoq is able to do for you. first of all note that at the moment photoq is really geared towards photoblogs rather than galleries, as it only allows one photo per post (even though i am working on a new version that let's you have multiple photos per post. however, this may still take some time to finish). you can still have gallery-like pages with many photos via tags and/or categories (see e.g. the iq2 demo: http://www.whoismanu.com/iq2-demo/). if one photo per post is too big of a constraint you may want to look at a gallery plugin like nextgen: http://alexrabe.de/wordpress-plugins/nextgen-gallery/.

importing photos that are already on the server should be no problem through photoq's ftp upload feature.

linking to paypal and flash display, should both be possible. but you need to code them at the theme level, or find a theme that already does what you want.

hope this helps.

• 6

Sussex Wedding Photographer writes:

Just used the the WordPress auto-upgrade feature and found it a breeze. Great Plug in. thanks p

• 7

10lofi » Hej writes:

[...] exif support, watermarking and automatic posting via cronjobs among other features. PhotoQ works with most WordPress themes without adaptation and includes an auto-configuration option for some of the most popular photo [...]

• 8

Patti thinks:

Looks pretty good. Going to try this plugin on my travel picture blog that I'm going to start. Thanks for the plugin!

• 9

Todd P. Pennington writes:

I've been doing my blog regarding Coach Diaper Bags and I'm putting up sample pics in it. Is this the same with the next gen plugin or much more advance and has better results? please enlighten me up guys because I'll switch to this plugin immediately if it's much better for my new blog here.

• 10

mxn writes:

nice plugin will be using it my blog

• 11

PhotoBlogs writes:

[...] exif support, watermarking and automatic posting via cronjobs among other features. PhotoQ works with most WordPress themes without adaptation and includes an auto-configuration option for some of the most popular photo [...]

• 12

PhotoBlogs | WP Freedom Themes thinks:

[...] exif support, watermarking and automatic posting via cron-jobs among other features. Photo-Q works with most WordPress themes without adaptation and includes an auto-configuration option for some of the most popular photo [...]

• 13

Free Makeup Samples writes:

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is excellent, as well as the content!. Thanks For Your article about PhotoQ WordPress Photoblog Plugin 1.8: Now Supporting Thousands of Themes .

• 14

NemNaseATTAIP thinks:

Rivet studs and contrast stitching set Riveting <a href=http://aouisvuittonspeedy.yolasite.com/>louis vuitton speedy</a> apart from all other Louis Vuitton monogram canvas bags.
    Examine the exterior materials, handles, zips, <a href=http://louisvuittonoutletstore2012.info>lv outlet store</a>, as well as the interior for any tears, open stitches or patches.
    You will find truly two option means that it is possible to do to go about this <a href=http://louisvuittonhandbagsuk.info>louis vuitton uk 2012</a>.
    It is <a href=http://www.aouisvuittonluggage.350.com/>louis vuitton luggage</a> brand that dose not need advertisement and statement about its quality and achievements.
    Aside from the obviously unique <a href=http://www.bouisvuittonsneakers.350.com/>louis vuitton sneakers</a> design and glamorous color, the refined handicraft and ultra versatility, they are also magnificent.

• 15

http://apcc.org.au writes:

Flirting is a wonderful method to text the romance back.
    Flirting is definitely an critical part of the healthier connection.
    It helps make you are feeling eye-catching and wished.
    Flirt back along with your spouse will truly feel the
    exact same. It then gets to be a reciprocal issue
    which will only get far better and greater! A great method to use flirty text messages, is to make your
    companion seem forward to seeing you following an extended day
    at get the job done. Any time you create the anticipation throughout the day you
    are going to be assured of the romantic reception once they see you!

Would you like that bubble bath run for you? How about a wonderful soothing foot rub after a
    hard day? If you really feel eye-catching and wished by your partner, we then want to do things for our partner!

• 16

couples seduce teens says:

You really make it seem really easy with your presentation
    however I find this matter to be actually one thing that I believe I would never understand.

It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I'm taking a look forward in your next submit, I'll try to get the
    cling of it!

• 17

career horoscope by date of birth says:

I've downloaded a few wordpress blog themes from other websites. They are in the zip file format. How do I apply them? Can I get a step by step guide?.

• 18

fora writes:

Due to this blog I made a decision to start writing.

• 19

Sheila says:

Let's speak a little about the physical activity side first. Another essential accomplishment aspect to a rapid weight loss diet is when to eat these meals and how typically.

• 20

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite writes:

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot
    of spam remarks? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated.

• 21

Enrique says:

Definitely believe that that you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to consider of.

I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time
    as other folks think about issues that they
    plainly don't recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as defined out the whole thing with no need side effect , folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

• 22

Alicia Rutten says:

Many thanks a bunch for posting!

• 23

Maia Engelman thinks:

There are some attention-grabbing closing dates in this article but I don�t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

whoismanu?